The New York Internet Company, a private Internet service provider specializing in datacenter services, including colocation and managed services, is looking for a UNIX Systems Administrator. This individual must be a UNIX expert with relevant work experience.
Primary responsibilities for this position are UNIX- and networking-centric. They include but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Daily administration of our FreeBSD- and GNU/Linux-based infrastructure, which includes deployment and maintenance of DNS, mail, web, and database servers, firewalls, VPNs, filesystems, system builds and procedures, backups, development and maintenance of monitoring tools, system monitoring, troubleshooting, and shell programming.
- Daily support for our clients’ servers (all flavors of UNIX, but primarily FreeBSD and GNU/Linux), colocated at our state-of-the-art datacenters, that includes OS and application installation and maintenance. Hardware installation and diagnostics will occasionally be required.
- Close collaboration with other members of the staff, management, and clients.
We are looking for an individual who has good communication skills. Must be a thinker, ready to tackle any potential problem.
- Must have 2-3 years of hands-on FreeBSD and GNU/Linux administration experience.
- Strong understanding of computer hardware components in terms of the Von Neumann architecture.
- Strong understanding of UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems.
- Experience administering mail, DNS, web, and database servers.
- Strong understanding of OSI networking (OSI model, Ethernet, ARP, IP, TCP, UDP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP, NFS, SSL, etc.).
- Proficient in at least one of the following: Bourne Shell, Bash, or Perl.
- Strong diagnostic skills.
- Proficient in system- and network-diagnostic tools like strace, truss, gdb, and tcpdump, and Wireshark.
- Ability to write clear and concise documentation.
The following skills are a plus:
- The ability to speak popular plaintext protocols like SMTP and HTTP.
- Experience administering the following software: Postfix, qmail, vpopmail, Apache, nginx, MySQL, SquirrelMail, Roundcube, Varnish, and OpenSSL (for SSL certificate management).
The position will require being part of an on-call rotation and may occasionally require maintenance work to be performed outside of regular business hours.